The diabetic population has a difficult time monitoring their blood sugar levels. The best way to do this is by sticking your finger and taking your blood sugar level with a glucometer.
This can be cumbersome for some people, especially if they are on the go or need to monitor their glucose levels throughout the day.
Diabetes is a chronic condition that requires constant monitoring and management.
Luckily, you can now monitor your sugar levels with just the touch of a button on your wrist.
Listed in this blog 5 of the best smartwatches that help you track your diabetes!
Are Smartwatches really the smart way to deal with diabetes?
When compared to traditional testing methods, Smartwatch diabetes tests are a lot less time consuming and easier to manage by far.
But besides being easy to use, how do they really level up? Are they safe and accurate? How do they work? Is it going to cost more or less in the long run? Let’s find out!
How do Smartwatches help measure diabetes?
Testing using a smartwatch requires a wireless device and a small needle that will be semi-permanently stuck into your skin with a few mm depth, attached to the skin with a waterproof covering.
To measure glucose levels the wireless transmitter sends data to the smartwatch continuously, and, if too high or low the SmartWatch sends you an alert.
Depending on the brand, they can last on the skin from a day to a week, most smartwatches themselves have a life of at least two years.
This transmitter will send results to your smartwatch in real-time and include long-term history, making it convenient to overview your health records yourself or with a doctor.
Smart Watches are also a great way to monitor overnight blood glucose levels due to their ability to continuously stream the data to your smartwatch.
They offer a convenient way to monitor your health alongside the rest of the important activities in our daily lives.
What is the downside of using a smartwatch for diabetes?
“Is It safe?” Will naturally be one of the first questions you ask yourself. Traditional needle and monitor devices test glucose blood levels, by using a needle to pierce the skin and placing a drop of blood on a test strip to be read by a monitor.
This is often time-consuming and invasive, but also presents advantages, because this method allows you to see what your immediate glucose levels are, at any given moment; whereas Smartwatch detectors show subcutaneous (beneath the skin) glucose levels which show a delayed result because it takes longer for glucose levels to show in the subcutaneous than the blood.
Due to that, the results from Smartwatch readers may be inaccurate due to overcompensation for a delayed reading.
Keep in mind that the glue used to seal the signal transmitting needle can cause inflammation or an allergic reaction.
Consult your doctor
Another important thing to keep in mind you will have the needle in your skin consistently.
Some people may have difficulty getting used to the sensation. Smartwatches themselves present very little health risks. Always ask your doctor what a good option for your specific health concerns is.
Which smartwatch can monitor your diabetes?
The Price Range for smartwatches vary between $50 to over $5000, but not all include features that can help you monitor your diabetes, and remember; where your health is concerned, you need a reliable and trusted device.
Consider consulting with your health care provider or insurance company to see if they can help with the cost of a SmartWatch.
Below are some great Smart Watches that include options to track your blood glucose levels.
What benefits diabetes can get from a smartwatch?
Diabetics need to keep track of their blood sugar and general health. The smartwatches below all have features that diabetics will find helpful throughout the day, along with the other popular features that make smartwatches so prevalent.
Using a smartwatch to keep track of your levels reduces stress in diabetics because they can easily have access to important information about their health.
Smart Watches are Great when used alongside traditional testing methods, lifesavers for overnight, and a great stress reducer for people who prefer the ease of not having to prick fingers a few times a day.
5 Best Smartwatch For Diabetes
1. Apple Watch 6
- GPS model lets you take calls and reply to texts from your wrist
- Measure your blood oxygen with an all-new sensor and app
- Check your heart rhythm with the ECG app
If you use an iPhone, this will be the best choice.
Apple Watches come in a wide variety of models and prices. On their system is a downloadable app that allows users to keep track of their glucose levels.
Using a sensor that wraps around the stomach, like the one from Dexcom G6, pairs up with the watch to display an easily readable graph. Combined with all of the other fun and useful apps that can be installed on an Apple Watch, it is a great purchase to make.
It consists of many in-depth features and is one of the great choices for someone who wants a trusted and reliable device.
Most of the watches have up to 18 hours of battery life, Apple Pay and the ability to answer texts and phone calls. Combined with their other features, an Apple Watch is a great purchase if it can be afforded.
- Apple is an established company that has great customer service
- The watch is easy to use
- There are a number of different ways to customize the style of each watch
- The sheer number of features on the watch raises it above the pack
- It may be out of budget for many people
- It can be paired only with an Apple phone only
- A sensor is needed for accurate glucose measurement
85% of the time Apple Watch can also detect if you have diabetes, even without pairing it with any other device, using your heart rate as per CBS DFW in this video.
2. Fitbit Versa 2
- Use amazon Alexa built in to get quick news and information, check the weather, set timers and alarms, control your smart home devices and more all through the...
- Based on your heart rate, time asleep and restlessness, sleep score helps you better understand your sleep quality each night. Also track your time in light,...
- Control your Spotify app, download Pandora stations and add Deezer playlists plus store and play 300+ songs on your wrist (subscription required; Pandora is us...
Next on the list is the Fitbit Versa 2. This watch came out recently and is almost half the price of some Apple Watches.
Fitbit Versa 2 is one of the top-selling, which combines reasonable price being between $175 – $300 as well as great health features and popularity among health and fitness advocates, and is praised for their long-lasting battery life.
Just by wearing the Fitbit on the wrist, it is possible to keep track of calories and glucose. These watches also come at different models and prices, so finding the best-suited style and price is easy.
The Fitbit line has become well known for their long lasting batteries. This watch in particular can last up to three or four days, which is perfect for people who are often out of the home. The watch also has a built in heartrate sensor and other fitness features. When using the Fitbit app, it is possible to keep track of sleep patterns, calories and more.
- Cheaper than some of the other watches on this list
- A well known company with great customer service
- It is possible to customize the watch with different bands
- The watch itself is simple to use
- Works on both Android and Apple phones
- The app is needed for the best experience
3. Galaxy Watch Active 2
- LTE unlocked (carrier agnostic) - With LTE connectivity, you can leave your phone behind
- Better insights to reach your fitness goals get more out of every mile thanks to built-in pace coaching on the Galaxy Watch Active2. Its advanced sensors keep...
- Comfortably sleek the Galaxy Watch Active2 is light enough to wear anywhere comfortably. It comes in aluminum casing and with a variety of faces, bands and...
Galaxy Watch Active 2 is a reputable watch from a well-known tech company, Samsung, including many features optimal for your health and a variety of for under $350. It is compatible with Android and iOS.
The line of Galaxy watches is well known among Android users and for good reason. They come in a variety of different models and some people may find the fact that they look more like an actual watch pleasing. The apps available on the phone allow users to keep track of their glucose levels easily, along with heart-rate and blood-pressure.
The built in GPS, and heart-rate sensor allow for users to keep track of their health without stress.
The watch can also be hooked up to a blood-pressure monitor for readings on the go. A downloadable app allows diabetics to keep track of their glucose without issue. Different bands can also be purchased for this watch so it can match any outfit and not stand out.
- The blood-pressure monitor is not available on many watches
- It has the capability to store music
- Long lasting battery
- Can only be used on an Android phone only
- May be out of many peoples budgets
4. Fossil Gen 5
- Smart watches powered with Wear OS by Google work with iPhone and Android Phones. Case size: 44 millimeter; Band size: 22 millimeter; interchangeable with all...
- Battery: 24 Hr+ multi day extended mode. Varies based on usage and after updates install. USB cable with magnetic charger snaps to rings on watch case back and...
- Health and fitness: Heart Rate & Activity Tracking using Google Fit; Built-in GPS for distance tracking; Swimproof design 3ATM; New wellness enhancements allow...
Fossil brand is one of the most well know Smartwatches in the health industry.
The watch works with both Apple and Android phones, so users won’t have to worry about combability. These watches come in 3 different colours so there is some customization available.
Just like the more expensive watches, diabetics can keep track of their glucose levels. It is also possible to read emails, texts and keep track of sleep and heart rate. The watch has an impressive battery life of up to 24 hours and is waterproof up to 30 meters underwater, so it can be worn while swimming, showering or washing hands. It can also control music right from the wrist.
- Built-in GPS
- Has the features every diabetic needs to keep healthy
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Well known brand
- The price is on the higher side.
- You will probably need to charge it daily or at least every other day.
K’Watch also provides a specifically geared watch for diabetes trackers but may lack other features of popular brand Smart Watches, like calling, video chats and internet use.
Smartwatches are both fun and useful and have uses that some people wouldn’t think about. They allow users to answer phone calls, texts, and even emails in some cases.
It doesn’t need to be stressful and scary to keep track of health as a diabetic. There is no need to resort to clunky and ugly looking watches either. The smartwatches above come in a variety of different styles, prices and models.
Each one has a great company to back up their product and the features that everyone needs. Discovering the best smartwatch for diabetics isn’t hard when looking at all the great choices out there.
They are also a good investment for people who are active throughout the day or those who may not want to stop and pull out their phone all the time. With a glance, text messages can be read and phone calls answered.
Whether it is in the budget to pay a couple hundred, or under a hundred, there is something on this list for you.
Hope this was helpful. If you are using Dexcom G6 for tracking your glucose, you may want to check Best Smartwatches for Dexcom G6